Must-Have Teacher Supplies – Bin For Next Week’s Handouts

Another must-have teacher item is one (well, one of many) that I use to maintain my sanity.

 

This item is a bin for organizing the next week’s handouts.

 

How this system works

 

Within the bin, I put five hanging folders, each labeled with a day of the school week.  I organize the approaching week's handouts, if any, in the appropriate hanging folder.

 

When to organize the bin

 

Organizing the “next week’s handouts bin” is something I do every Friday during my prep and before heading home for the weekend.  That way, I can avoid the drama (and in some cases, the trauma) of using the printer and copier on Monday morning.

 


Why I started using this system

 

I am all about finding ways to stay systematized and to be prepared – I am sure that most teachers share this sentiment!

 

When I first started teaching, I still printed and copied the next week’s papers on Fridays, but I did not have a container to store them in.

 

Rather, I kept the papers for each day and each course piled up on whatever surface was available – a windowsill, a ledge, an extra desk, etc.

 

Thankfully, I was able to get by with that “makeshift system,” but it was not ideal.  Although it never happened (thank goodness), I was running a risk of papers getting misplaced by another teacher, a student, a custodian, or even by me if I was not paying attention.

 

I knew I needed a plan that would be as close to fool-proof as possible.  Upon researching different classroom and office supplies, I discovered a modest-sized file bin, which came with several hanging folders, that looked like it would solve my dilemma.

 

What to do when teaching multiple courses

 

When I started this system of using a "next week's handouts" bin, I was only teaching eighth grade ELA, so I had the same lesson plans and materials to “rinse and repeat” all day.

 

If you teach more than one course, there are two ways to utilize this system.

 

Option 1 – binder clips.  You can use binder clips to separate the papers for each course within that day of the week’s folder.  At the top of each pile, include a sticky note to label the course so you can identify at quick-glance which stack is need for each period.  Better yet, use different colored sticky notes and write each course name.  For example, use a yellow sticky note and write “English 6” and use a pink sticky note for “English 6 Honors.”

 

Option 2 – multiple bins.  It may be helpful to have one bin dedicated to each course.  This way, the margin for error is minimalized.  Every handout for next week’s English 6 class is in one bin, while the graphic organizers for English 6 Honors are housed in their own storage area.

 

Final thoughts

 

Although I wish I had the foresight to implement this system from day one, much of teaching (and storing class materials) is trial and error.  I hope this system is one you can effectively apply so that housing your handouts is one less thing to worry about from day to day.

 

What are your thoughts on this system?  How can this system be improved?  Share below!  

 

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store for a variety of versatile products for all grades and subjects!   

 

Leave a question, comment, or suggestion below, in the Comments Section!   

 

Follow me on Instagram: elathemissmway

 

Peace.  Love.  Reading & Writing.

 

💗 Miss M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets to Having an Awesome First Day of School

18 Fun Choice Activities to Boost Engagement in ELA Class

Advice For Leave Replacement Teachers