Must-Have Teacher Supplies – Masking Tape

The item I am about to mention may seem insignificant.  Drum roll please.  I recommend having masking tape in your classroom.  

 

Masking tape is one of those items that you won’t realize you need until that moment that you need it.


Where and how to use masking tape

 

If your classroom’s walls are made of that tile-like substance (you know what I’m talking about), masking tape will stick well to it.  Use the masking tape to display posters, reference sheets, decorations, students' work, and anything else your heart desires.

 

Masking tape can also be a quick-fix for creating labels.  It came in handy for me one year when, on the last day of school, my students had to turn in the locks from their lockers.  I wrote each lock's combination on a piece of masking tape and stuck it on the back of the appropriate lock for the next school year's recipient.  

 

I have also used masking tape to create instant labels for my classroom supplies.  Since there are always items (especially storage bins/organizational containers) that I purchase with my own money, I am protective of those belongings.  A piece of masking tape does the trick to simply write my name on it and then stick that tape onto the bin or container.  That way, if one of my belongings somehow gets misplaced, whoever finds it can return it to me.


Another use for masking tape is to place it on the floor to signify “sides” or “team areas” for kinesthetic activities that involve moving to different sections of the classroom.  Some examples of these activities include “This or That,” “True or False,” and “Agree or Disagree,” amongst others.

 

On this same note of putting masking tape on the floor, use it for the placement of furniture.  Desks, chairs, shelves, etc. will be moved around more times than you can count.  When this happens, it seems impossible that your classroom will return to its state pre-movement of the furniture.  But alas, there is a solution.  Use pieces of masking tape to mark where each desk should be placed so that the desks line up – I took this gem from another teacher 😊

 

The next use is as a makeshift lint roller.  Masking tape works just as well as clear adhesive tape to remove those pesky fuzz remnants that your new sweater felt the desire to shed on to your pants and shirt. 

 

For all of the artsy folks, and even the not-so creative ones, you can easily incorporate masking tape into your classroom décor.  You (and your students!) can use sharpie markers to color or create designs on strips of masking tape.  Use those strips on various bulletin boards/display boards in your classroom.  The masking tape can be used to create borders or to form crisscross patterns or any other design that comes to mind.

 

Final thoughts

 

Although seemingly trivial, masking tape is an invaluable item to have in your classroom.

 

I rattled off several of its uses, but I’m sure there are other resourceful ways to utilize masking tape in your classroom. 

 

What are some additional innovative purposes of masking tape?  Feel free to share below!

 

Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store for a variety of versatile products for all grades and subjects!   

 

Leave a question, comment, or suggestion below, in the Comments Section!   

 

Follow me on Instagram: elathemissmway

 

Peace.  Love.  Reading & Writing.

 

💗 Miss M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secrets to Having an Awesome First Day of School

18 Fun Choice Activities to Boost Engagement in ELA Class

Advice For Leave Replacement Teachers